Tamarind: Taste of Thai

by - Sunday, October 01, 2017


For our #12Months12Cuisines for the month of July(Yes. July. It's late), I'm bringing you food from a country where A Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Coming Soon materialized, Thailand! Having tasted some Thai food myself, I realized that they have dishes that somehow resemble Filipino food. Their Tom Yum Soup tastes like a spicy version my favorite Sinigang. Of course the latter tastes better for me. I haven't seen much of Thai food spots in Manila. So for our Thai food hunt, Chad and I opted to visit this Thai place called Tamarind which is found in SM North EDSA.
Tamarind: Taste of Issan Thai is located at the Ground Floor of SM City North EDSA The Block along with other restaurants, S&R and King Chef. The place is teeming with tropical colors and a mix of classic and contemporary interiors. I liked how they incorporated Tamarind to the design of the place. The restaurant looks very Asian in terms of the decorations and ambiance.  

They have a lot to offer on their menu. They have salad, noodles, soup, seafood, meat and even curry. The price of their dishes can range from affordable to expensive depending on your choices. But this restaurant seem to serve authentic Thai dishes so we still gave it a go.
We ordered Thailand's famous noodle dish, Pad Thai, which is pronounced as "phat thai". Also, we had a dish joining the Salted Egg craze which is Salted Egg Ribs. 
Pad Thai Prawns(P250)
Pad Thai is a street dish offered in all parts of Thailand. It consists of stir-fried flat noodles topped with egg, bean sprouts, peanuts, and shrimp served with lime on the side for added acidity. I haven't tasted Pad Thai before but this looks so yummy! I mixed everything first then drizzled it with lime. I must say, I liked it! The dish is a combination of sweet and tangy. The peanuts added some crunch. The noodles are so chewy they reminded me of Korean Chap Chae. I just wish they have more shrimp on the dish because I really love meat with noodles. Just be careful not to put too much lime to balance the flavors of Pad Thai. 
Salted Egg Spareribs(around P300)
I read the reviews of this restaurant before we visited and one of their recommended dishes is the Salted Egg Spareribs. It's quite unique isn't it? I've never heard of it before so I really wanted to try it out. One bite, and yes, it tasted like Salted Egg Ribs. I found nothing special about it. Just ribs covered in salted egg. It's good by the way. I'm just looking for a dip because I found the taste to be too plain. But I really enjoyed eating this because you know what, I love their Jasmine rice! I had the best plain rice in this restaurant. The aroma, texture, and taste of the rice completed the whole experience. If not for their rice, I wouldn't have enjoyed the Salted Egg Ribs. I am very particular with how rice was cooked because there are restaurants who serve half cooked or over cooked rice. But Tamarind served me the best cooked rice ever. 
Tamarind gave me my first Pad Thai experience and it did not disappoint. I can't wait to visit Thailand to check if it tastes the same! I would love to come back and try their other dishes. The Jasmine rice costs 50 pesos per serving but I didn't care. It was worth it! We spent less than 700 pesos for 2 dishes. Quite expensive, but I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to more Thai dishes next time. I guess I should try their Tom Yum and curry next. 

Have you tried Thai before? Did you like it? 

Tamarind: Taste of Issan Thai
Address: Ground Floor, The Block, SM City North EDSA, Quezon City
Budget for Two: Php 700 to Php 900

Ratings
Food: 3.5/5
Ambiance: 5/5
Service: 5/5

Overall: 4.5/5
Tamarind: Taste of Thai Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

You May Also Like

0 comments