Dicasalarin Cove: A Non-surfer's Beach in Baler

by - Sunday, April 02, 2017


The best thing about DIY trips is not that it is less expensive. In my own point of view, what’s great about traveling at your own risk is that you get the hold of your own time. And by that I mean you can have spontaneous trips as long as all of you agreed to do it. For me, unexpected trips are really the most unforgettable ones. And that's what happened. Our spontaneous, adventurous selves lead us to this paradise which is far from the scary waves of Baler's Sabang Beach.

Our visit to Dicasalarin Cove came as an impulsive decision from one of us who is really fascinated with Lighthouses. We were building sand mermaids beside Sabang Beach when she mentioned that our tour guide told her there’s a Lighthouse that can be visited in Baler. We’re really having second thoughts due to the fact that our expenses would grow out of proportions if we’ll continue with the trip. What happened next? We went to the nearest bank to withdraw money and the rest was history.

About the Island

Paradise within reach <3
Dicasalarin Cove was a few miles off from Sabang Beach - Baler’s main surfing spot. It is a private beach owned by the Angaras which explains why entrance is quite expensive. The way to the cove is not easy. The way up was steep and the road is narrow. When you get to the entrance of the cove, you’ll have a majestic view of the whole cove. You’ll also see the lighthouse though it doesn’t quite look like it. Even the beach can be seen beautifully from the entrance to the cove.


Expenses

We rented three habal-habal's who took us to to Dicasalarin Cove. One of our drivers is our tour guide so he's the one who contacted the other two. You can also ask the hotel where you will check in to arrange a tour for you. For the habal-habal, we paid 300 pesos each for the roundtrip transfer. That's last 2016 so I guess prices already increased as of this type. 
The expenses did not stop there. Admission in Dicasalarin Cove is not free. We paid 300 pesos each for a half day stay at the cove(600 pesos for the whole day stay). It's expensive to be honest but there are a lot of things to do inside the cove.

What To Do

Visit the Artist's Village

A fascinating open house standing tall within the Dicasalarin forest was what welcomed us inside the Artist’s village. The house has no windows. It looks like a grand tree house architecturally designed to give the artistic and cool vibe. 
Missing these girls :(
Inside the house are paintings from different artists. There are also sculptures. The house is a perfect place for bummers who love nature. It is surrounded with trees and a shallow river. 

Baler has a very cold weather that time and this open house inside the forest is just the perfect place to chill. Too bad we're already leaving Baler by 2 pm.

Explore the Dicasalarin Cave

After unleashing our interests with creative crafts. We then went for some adventure - exploring the Dicasalarin cave. The Dicasalarin Cave is located below the cliff where the Baler light house was located.
During low tide, the water is low enough that you can cross the cave. When we came there, it was turning high tide that the waves became harsh they almost tumbled every one of us. So before the waves eat us, we just took a few photos then headed for the main event - Baler Lighthouse.

See the Baler Lighthouse and the whole view of the Cove

More than a hundred steps up to Baler LightHouse! 
The Baler Lighthouse is more than a hundred steps up from the beach. It is the most unique light house I’ve ever seen though it is not functional anymore. It just serves as an attraction now. You can also climb up like King Kong if you dare.
Go KingKong!
The light house was splendid, but what made my heart skip a beat was the incredible view of the whole cove from the top. The rock formations where the waves crash are wonderfully formed. And the whole cove seem to be glistening with green and blue shades which is very refreshing to the naked eye. With that awesome view, I can never let the opportunity pass and took some instagram worthy photos.
Those amazing rock formations are breathless <3

Baler will always have a spot in my heart <3


Enjoy A Calmer Beach

A few jump shots and poses thereafter, we headed to the beach! The sand is not pure white but the texture is very fine. There are also a lot of hermit crabs - creatures my sister is very fond of. What I really enjoyed at the beach is also the very reason why tourists come to Baler, the waves. Unlike in Sabang Beach where waves are warriors prepared to take down any obstacle, the waves in Dicasalarin are calmer and more friendly though they are still big waves. We really enjoyed clashing with the waves and bumming at the beach. Afterwards, we all headed to the clean, shallow river to remove sand of our swim wears.

You can also trek to waterfalls hidden inside the cove but that time, our guide said that the falls is dry plus we don't have enough time to finish the trek without us being left by the bus.

Our trip to Dicasalarin was indeed a great one! Water supply was scarce when we went there which is a point for improvement but other than that, everything was perfect in that place. We could have stayed longer if it wasn’t for the reason that we already a scheduled for a trip home in the afternoon. While the place is very expensive for budget travelers, it is undeniable that what you will experience is worth the additional expenses. If you're not enjoying the harsh waves of Sabang Beach, then Dicasalarin Cove's beach is you next option.  *winks*

Previously Featured Beach: Capones Island

You May Also Like

26 comments

  1. Great photos Angelica! I love to visit this place. I love the photo of the beach and Im always a fan of lighthouses. Sad that this one here doesn't function anymore but I always see the picture of the lighthouse on the web, it's still a popular site. 100 steps towards it is also an adventure. Will save this! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shenna! :) I don't even know how that lighthouse would function because it doesn't look like common lighthouses I see in movies. Yes Dicasalarin Cove is popular in Baler but the damage to your pocket is quite expensive maybe that's why others exclude this place in their itinerary. Yes go have fun here when you visit Baler! :)

      Delete
  2. Aurora is actually only a few hours away from here. I didn't know it has a lot of amazing places and activities to try aside from surfing and other beach-related activities. I will definitely keep this in mind. I love the photos by the way! You are gorgeous, and everything is stunning!~

    - Gretch of GG Memochou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you live Gretch? Yes they do have a lot of amazing places and it's really a good place if you just want to relax because of the chilly weather it has. I'm glad you liked the photos! Aww thanks Gretch. <3

      Delete
  3. Oh wow....Angelica, this place Aurora is very beautiful....I would definitely love to visit it sometime....! I love beaches a lot....!! fan of lighthouses.Great Post babe...xx, Neha

    http://www.theinstylejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neha! Philippines has a lot to offer when it comes to beaches. I'm sure you won't run out of options.;) Thank you! <3

      Delete
  4. Love the photo of the rock formations by the beach. It could pass up as a postcard or something. We went to Baler a few years ago, but we only visited the beach and the Mother Falls. Didn't know about these other attractions, but I hope I could come back soon!

    xx, The Diary Queen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow salamat Da! :D Favorite ko din yung rock formations na yan. Andami kong kuha nyan iba ibang angle hahaha. Hindi kasi to talaga kasama sa mga tours na inooffer nila sa Baler. Madalas excluded to. Tas tatanungin kayo ng guide kung gusto nyo pumunta pero dagdag bayad kasi mahal.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I don't think I've ever explored this part of Baler yet. I only really go there to surf. Hehe Plus the rock formation is amazing! It looks like the Apostle's from Australia!

    Ochi | Ochi In The City

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pwede rin ata magsurf dito Ochi pero mas maganda parin yung waves sa Sabang Beach kung surfing talaga. :) Medyo mga tamad kasi yung waves dito. Mabagal lang kilos nila haha. Sinearch ko yung Apostles ang ganda ngaaa! Siguro ito mga pandak na apostles haha.

      Delete
  6. Really wanna visit this place too :) Looks lovely! Great place for fun friendly adventures :)

    ♥ Chai Chen ♥ @chenmeicai
    ☆*。˚˚https://chenmeicai.blogspot.com˚˚。*☆

    ⓛ ⓞ ⓥ ⓔ ✰Recent Posts✰
    ✨ [TECH] Why Oppo F1s is the Best Camera Phone to Capture Summer #OOTD Photos
    ✨ [BEAUTY] Sleek Makeup Matte Me Lippies Review: My Cosplay & Non-Cosplay Looks!
    ✨ [COSPLAY] Who Will Be The Next Darna? #Darna2017

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chai! Thank you. Yes do visit this soon if you happen to visit Baler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last time I went here was two years ago and Baler is so memorable for me! We went to the beach near Sabang (I don't exactly remember the name of the beach but it's near Sabang) and we rented a room in a house for three days and two nights. Seeing this post makes me wanna go there!

    Kai
    www.kairafanan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kai! Ako a year ago na and memorable din sya for me. Sobrang peaceful kasi dun. Ang sarap magmunimuni. <3 Yes pag nakikita ko rin to namimiss ko yung malamig na simoy ng hangin hihi.

      Delete
  9. You love the waters, Ate A! Can I tag along on your next trip?


    Xeph | engineerxeph.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super xeph! Haha lalo na ngayong summer. Sobrang init. -.- Oo namaaaan! Sabihan kita pag may new plans. ;)

      Delete
  10. Baler, Aurora is truly fascinating. The place looks serene too :)

    Wannderzel by Hazel Asoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel! :) Yes I bet there are still a lot of undiscovered places in Baler.

      Delete
  11. What an adventure! Baler truly has so much in store. Also when I saw that photo of the cave where you said can only be crossed when the water's low enough, I can't help but think back to that scene where Shim Cheong was washed ashore in Legend of the Blue Sea. (Do you watch that Korean drama?) Okay I'm blabbering. Hehe. But really, great photos!

    annescribblesanddoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne! I haven't watched Legends of the Blue Sea but I'm really starting to get hooked with it! I'm currently watching K2 and being curious with what you said, I think I'll go with Legends of the Blue Sea next haha. BTW, I love your new post about Anne Curtis. ;)

      Delete
  12. Ah, what an adventure! Baler is so so beautiful. I bet your photos don't do it justice talaga.

    cabin twenty-four

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eena! Yes my photos won't be enough to show how beautiful and peaceful Baler is. It is one of the most serene places I've been to. Have you been in Baler? :)

      Delete
  13. The view from the top looks so pretty! :)

    Little Miss Miera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is Miera! But it will be more amazing in person than in photos. :)

      Delete
  14. I agree, DIY travels are less expensive compared to organized tours, but based on my DIY trips, I always spend more on transpo because I often get lost. Hahaha But the best thing about it, for me, is that I manage my own time. :) The moment I knew that organized tours have call time, I already know it's not for me. Haha.

    I haven't been to Baler but it's in my list of to-go places. It's far from the metro so I always hesitate going on a roadtrip due to time constraint, but who knows one of these days I will be able to visit soon. :) I'd definitely go to Dicasalarin, if possible, since I'm not a surfer! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha. Di ka maliligaw dito Mei don't worry. ;) Kailangan nyo lang magrent ng trike to go around Baler. Di naman hassle kasi malamig dun. Especially pag before magsummer. That's the best time to go there para sakin. Yeah that's what I really like most pag di ka nagavail ng tours, you can stay longer pag naenjoy mo yung place.

      Delete